Before you learn how to eat sushi with chopsticks, we suggest you to get acquainted with the origins of a centuries-old tradition
What can not a traditional Eastern meal do without? Of course, without special sushi sticks. This is an essential attribute of any national cuisine of Japan, China, Korea or Vietnam. Before finding out how to eat sushi with chopsticks, we suggest that you familiarize yourself with the origins of a centuries-old tradition and understand the significance of using such chopsticks in Eastern etiquette.
Sushi sticks are an essential attribute of any national cuisine of Japan, China, Korea or Vietnam.
What is sushi and rolls
Let's find out some of the features of traditional Asian dishes. Sushi is an elongated strip of boiled rice, covered with seafood and tied with stripes of algae. Rolls are a kind of sushi. They are made from layers of avocado, glutinous rice, cucumber and other ingredients. All components are laid out on a leaf of algae layers and twisted into a roll.
Do you know what are called sushi sticks? This traditional cutlery is called hashi. With their help, they eat fish, meat dishes, as well as noodles, rice and soups. The sticks were originally made from ivory, wood, metal, and ivory. Currently, this cutlery is made of plastic or wood.
Sushi is an elongated strip of boiled rice, covered with seafood and tied with stripes of algae. Rolls - Sushi Varieties
Tip! Rolls are turned inside out, in the form of a mosaic and with the addition of various ingredients.
Who came up with the use of chopsticks: interesting historical facts
Chinese archaeologists claim that they began to use such chopsticks more than three thousand years ago and for the first time they appeared in China. This way of eating was invented by Emperor Yu in antiquity, who with two sprigs pulled a piece of meat from a boiling pot. At the same time he managed not to scald his hands.
In Japan, the Hashi were borrowed from China around 300 AD. In the beginning, they were made like forceps.
Rods have long been used as a gift that symbolizes longevity and prosperity. In addition, this item in Japan is considered a personal thing, and the Japanese do not eat other people's cutlery.
Interestingly, in the 17th century, chopsticks were made of silver to determine if there was any poison in food. In those days, arsenic was used with malicious intent, after contact, with which silver changed its color.
This way of eating was invented by Emperor Yu in antiquity, who with two sprigs pulled a piece of meat from a boiling pot
Tip! It is believed that teaching children how to handle chopsticks from a young age develops fine motor skills, which, in turn, affects mental abilities.
Before you learn how to eat sushi with chopsticks, you need to identify what types of this unusual cutlery exist. They may differ depending on the country where they are used:
- In China, disposable bamboo sticks are used. They have square bases, and their length is about 25 cm. Often they are made of plastic, metal or animal bones. In this country they are called quaizi.
- In Japan, such cutlery is called hashi. They are shorter than the Chinese and have a more acute form. Plates in this country are brought to the mouth itself and therefore long instruments are not needed. And the sticks are different in purpose. For holidays, sweets and tea there are different products.
- Korean chopsticks or chokkarak are shorter and are made of metal. It used to be brass, and now stainless steel. They are difficult to use, as the food slides on the metal.
- Vietnamese products are wider and longer.
Also there are Nuribasi, which are reusable devices. They are made of stainless steel, as well as precious metals, crystal, wood and plastic.
Nuribashi are reusable devices. They are made of stainless steel
Varibasi are disposable appliances for food. They are sold in sealed form. They are made of wood and fastened together, which serves as a guarantee that no one used them.
In a separate form is to highlight and sticks of cryptometry. This is such a cedar. They are made with a pointed end. Hashi from a usual cedar have points on both sides. They are suitable for meat and fish dishes.
Gon Fai are common chopsticks with which food is put on the plates.
Means for cooking often have a length of up to 30-50 cm. With their help, the products are mixed in a deep vessel.
In Japan, even special sticks are made, which are intended only for certain holidays. For example, for the New Year.
For table fixtures in Japan, there are special stands Hashioki. On them the wand is laid with a thin end, so that it is turned to the left. If there are no such supports, then the devices are placed on the table or on the edge of the plate.
These coasters are made of wood, bamboo or ceramics. In Europe, such dishes are even collected, as there are special items.
For table fixtures in Japan, there are special stands Hashioki. On them the wand is laid with a thin end, so that it is turned to the left.
Tip! Wood products are made of such woods as pine, cypress, sandalwood, plum and bamboo. Some devices are inlaid with precious stones, and also decorated with ornaments and hieroglyphs.
How to keep the sticks
Let's figure out how to properly hold sushi sticks. Here are the basic rules for keeping them:
- With your little finger and ring finger create a base for supporting the sticks. To do this, they need to press, and lower the fingers a little.
- We put the thick upper end of the wand under the thumb. In this case, the opposite edge should be based on the middle one.
- Under the thick end of the upper sticks enclosed index finger. The thumb should fix the object on the index finger.
While eating, the lower stick does not move, and with the upper one, food is captured. In this case, the brush should be relaxed. Hand can not strain. To move the tips of devices it is necessary to bend and unbend the middle and index fingers of the hands. Before using sticks, you can practice on smaller items.During the meal, the lower stick does not move, and with the upper one, food is captured.
Tip! Sushi is often served with green tea or sake. And sake is drunk before a meal, and green tea is consumed during meals. It allows you to remove the taste of the previous dish. It is considered indecent to top up drinks to yourself.
How to use varibas
Let's also learn how to use disposable sushi chopsticks. It is not so difficult. One stick is fixed on the crook of the ring finger, and its continuation is pressed against the notch between the index finger and the thumb. In this case, the second device must be wrapped around like a pencil. Then you need to move the fingers to the thick ends and pull them down. During the meal you need to move the stick-pencil, and the second to keep in a fixed state.
One stick is fixed on the crook of the ring finger, and its continuation is pressed against the notch between the index finger and the thumb. In this case, the second device must be wrapped around like a pencil.
Tip!Devices, pointed on both sides, are used for meat and fish. They are eaten as well as disposable.
How to use special and children's chopsticks
For children make special connected sticks, which have a mini - holder. At the same time, they should be taken as tweezers, and food should be taken by adjusting the middle finger.
There are also special sticks connecting in the middle or at the ends. When connecting at the ends, they should be held like tweezers, and when fixed in the middle, like a clothespin.
Tip! Do not abuse pickled ginger, wasabi or soy sauce. These products have a rich taste that in large quantities interrupts the taste of other dishes.
How to eat chopsticks different dishes
There are certain rules that relate to different dishes. Even if you already know how to use chopsticks, you need to learn about other recommendations on how to eat sushi correctly. So, let's go through some rules:
- Rolls and sushi are not divided into pieces, but eaten whole.
- Meals begin with dishes that are wrapped in a noria.
- Before eating roll should be dipped in soy sauce, but only half.
- Add some wasabi to make it spicy.
An important property of rice for sushi is stickiness. Similar rice turns out more rigid. Dried brown seaweed is added to it. Noria are thin plates of fried algae. They are used for wrapping rolls, temaki and different types of sushi. Such algae are grown specifically. Then they are pressed into rectangles and dried under the sunlight. Sometimes tamago or thin omelet is used instead of nori.
Chopsticks eat and noodles. Most often, it is wound on a fork just like spaghetti. But in Eastern culture this is not done, and a little noodle clings to the hashi
Fish such as salmon, herring and tuna is used as a sushi filling. Caviar, various vegetables, cheese and even eggs are also used.
Chopsticks eat and noodles. Most often, it is wound on a fork just like spaghetti. But in Eastern culture this is not done, and a little noodle clings to the hashi. If the soup with noodles, then thick is eaten first, and then broth is drunk.
Rice eat almost the same as noodles and rolls. To make it better captured, add a little soy sauce to it.
By the way, wasabi is added to the sauce, it is not smeared over sushi. Soy sauce is first offered to guests, and then poured itself. The saucepan should be held in your left hand.
Tip! The important point is which side to dip sushi into soy sauce. It is recommended to dunk the top side or fish. There are types of sushi that eat without sauce.
Rules of conduct and etiquette in a Japanese restaurant
For a couple of millennia of culture, the ritual of eating with chopsticks has grown over a large number of traditions. They differ from different nationalities, but there are similarities.
You can take, apply or stir the food with chopsticks, and all other actions are not welcome. About the rules of behavior to learn better in advance. Here are some of them:
- You can not stick food on a stick or stick them on a plate.
- You can not sort out their food.
- It is forbidden to knock on the dishes to attract the attention of the waiter.
- It is considered indecent to lay back a piece taken from a plate.
- No need to lick sticks or swing them.
- The devices are not placed in an upright position either, since this is how scented candles are put for the dead.
- You can not shift with chopsticks and food from one pot to another.
By the way, the sticks clamped in a fist are a sign of threat. Also do not cool the products by shaking them in the sticks. Do not put your face too low on a plate or bring it too close to your face. It is impossible to put devices for food and across a cup. After the end of the meal they are put on a stand.
You can not stick food on a stick or stick them in a plate
Most often, similar food is served green tea. He poured into the kettle, and out of it, each of the guests fills his cup.
Men can eat sushi and hands.
Tip! Ginger helps to eliminate the taste of food in the mouth before a new piece..
Crafts for sushi
If you like sushi, you can not throw away the sticks after use, but make of them wonderful crafts from sushi sticks.
You can try to create such products:
- Beautiful and practical solution - stand for jewelry. For bonding, you can use hot glue mortar, as well as glue moment or composition for wood.
- With the help of a large number of sticks, you can beautifully decorate a mirror in the shape of a sun. First, long beams are placed, and then shorter. Long elements can be made by joining two sticks with glue. In this case, it is important to find a harmonious symmetry. The finished product can be painted.
Original photo frame of chopsticks for sushi
- Make a luxurious stand for dishes, but it is important to leave gaps of 4-5 mm between the elements.
- From wooden devices you can cut high-quality knitting needles.
- With the help of such devices you can decorate a frame for a photo or make an original vase for fruits and sweets.
We hope that our review will help you feel confident in any restaurant of Asian cuisine. A little practice, you can easily use chopsticks and enjoy the delicious food without being distracted by the little things.